March 19, 2024, 11:34:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute audio out, how to avoid the static noise?  (Read 5468 times)

jmabe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minibrute audio out, how to avoid the static noise?
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:10 am »
I just installed my minibrute, but I noticed that even when it's turned off, I can hear "it's there", like there's some noise that seems like silence but it's not. I tried a few cables and used more than one imput on my audio interface, which is the Octatrack.

I probably am using balanced cables, on the master out, and this little noise annoys me, and I wouldn't like it on my recordings, so I was wondering how to avoid it. I've noticed that a mixer is suggested for use with the master out, but since my interface is fairly good and I don't want to spend more, I would like another solution, and know if other users are noticing this.

thanks in advance

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
Re: Minibrute audio out, how to avoid the static noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
not sure to understand your issue. Are you saying MB generates noise when powered down? what happens if you disconnect the PSU? Is it still noisy

by the way master out is UN-balanced output.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

jmabe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:50:51 am »
Yes,

if the cable is connected and the PSU connected, the Minibrute will have a little silent noise even when turned off... It's not a hiss or anything. It's just less silent than without it, it's hard to explain really... I can detect it from a little further and from near my speaker it's rather noticeable.

So if I use an unbalanced cable will things maybe improve?

fear83

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:22:54 pm »
Maybe its the same problem described in this thread?
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=10185.0
I am also still trying to understand what it is.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's kinda unavoidable, the noise when the brute is off.  When it's off, it's probably not much better than plugging in a cable on only one end to your octatrack.  Very easily picks up noise, and there's no active circuitry to hold it at 0, it's just a floating input.

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:13 am »
if the cable is connected and the PSU connected, the Minibrute will have a little silent noise even when turned off... It's not a hiss or anything. It's just less silent than without it, it's hard to explain really... I can detect it from a little further and from near my speaker it's rather noticeable.

ok, i don't think something can be done about it. When you switch off the machine the ground is not disconnected but the DC from the PSU is.
If the PSU itself is noisy when not loaded (which frequently happen with switching mode PSU) a work around could be to use a Multi-socket mains extension with a switch, or disconnect the cable.

if beefinator is right:
it's just a floating input.
You can try otherwise to set master volume knob to 0, it may help.

Final solution, you have a ground loop somewhere.

no it should be the same
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

jmabe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:23:46 am »

ok, i don't think something can be done about it. When you switch off the machine the ground is not disconnected but the DC from the PSU is.
If the PSU itself is noisy when not loaded (which frequently happen with switching mode PSU) a work around could be to use a Multi-socket mains extension with a switch, or disconnect the cable.

I don't think it's the PSU making this little noise, it might be the oscillator thing as the other thread.

if beefinator is right:
it's just a floating input.
You can try otherwise to set master volume knob to 0, it may help.

Final solution, you have a ground loop somewhere.

All the electricity in my room is grounded, so probably this isn't the case...

no it should be the same

Too bad, I brought the synth to Brazil so I might have to sell it... I use the computer for personal use and production, so I can't stand this little noise that it makes, as the room is pretty much silent a lot of the time.

Liked the sound and the synth in general though, thanks for the support. If a firmware can solve this, let me know and I might keep it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines