March 28, 2024, 11:00:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: EDIT: WORKING AGAIN - Blew out audio gate input trigger? :(  (Read 3554 times)

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
EDIT: WORKING AGAIN - Blew out audio gate input trigger? :(
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:46 pm »
So I'm pretty ticked at myself right now—I've only been using my new minibrute for a week, and it seems I've already broken it.

I was playing around with running an external synth into the audio input on the brute, using the audio input gate mode for the analog envelopes and filter.  (the other synth went to a channel on my mixer, and one of the aux sends on the mixer into the brute input)

It was working fine, lots of fun.
Until I accidentally turned the gain on my mixer up too high (I had been playing around with different input levels to see what worked best).  The filter was overdriven, then the sound stopped.  I can't get the audio input gate mode to work anymore.  It seems that I blew out the input gate trigger.
The audio input still works, I can switch the gate to hold and use the audio input as normal.

But breaking the input gate trigger, is that something that could happen, based on the synth's circuitry?  Did I, for example, overload an ADC on a microcontroller or something?  If so, is there any sort of fix?

To anyone else with the pleasure of having a minibrute, be careful with the input!

:(

EDIT:  Now it's working again...  It may have been some other error on my part when I was testing it after it supposedly "broke".    So it all seems to be good.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:38:31 am by beefinator »

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
Re: EDIT: WORKING AGAIN - Blew out audio gate input trigger? :(
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:45:33 pm »
Hi,
good to read it's working fine now. I was pretty disappointed when I read you first message... Indeed, killing the gate trigger alone is almost impossible. In my opinion the wost that may happen is to burn the input buffer opamp, by driving it more than 24Vpp, which a LOT more that a normal line output level.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

sparki

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:12:30 pm »
just want to add a quick question, because i having the same problem. i only get audio in to work via KBD or Hold mode, switching to audio gate silents the minibrute.
i try it with different sound sources and never get any sound out of my minibrute if its set to audio gate. does audio gate mode only work, if the audio source also sends midi or cv??
i use a kaossilator for audio in, but it just work on KBD & Hold.
is my minibrute broken??

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:03 am »
I think your audio source is too weak to trig the gate. You can lower the threshold, using Minibrute Connection software. Set it to the Low setting, and try to increase to output level of your kaossilator
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

sparki

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »
hi bruno, thanks for the respond. the treshold is allready on low, i now also tried to route the Spark via the headphone channel through the minibrute, also every volume knob is at max. still nothing to hear if the switch is set to gate mode.

/edit

in the meantime i went to the shop where i buyed my MB. we also checked another MB --> same problem

/EDIT

found out something strange...if i try to trigger the brute a as loud as possible via audio it triggers nothing on the mb, but if i make the signal even louder (in my DAW) that it clips very hard. tada! the brute gets triggered. it kind of works right now, but the brute is now triggered by a hard cliping audio, this means just running the audio through the mb with filter open just sounds horrible because the incoming singnal is hard clipping.
is this the way it should be  ???
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:17:00 pm by sparki »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines