March 28, 2024, 06:14:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why do people hate dongles so much ?  (Read 28214 times)

Didz@dron

Why do people hate dongles so much ?
« on: March 03, 2006, 11:09:33 pm »
Sorry but I don't get it. When I read messages like some posted on the KvR forum, there's something I can't understand. Most people there claim their using a steinberg vst host but keep shitting over Arturia's policy regarding the use of a dongle for demoing the brand new Prophet V. What's the problem ?  :roll:
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'll be ordering it very soon. The hybrid mode sounds really great !  :twisted:
d(*O*)b

pmwaring

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:43:50 am »
I agree what's the big deal. I have a Cubase dongle (two actually) I downloaded the Prophet V demo added the license to my dongle and off I went, simple.

I'll be getting the Prophet V and I'll copy the license from the supplied dongle to my Cubase dongle, I'll do the same with AmpliTube 2 (if they ever release it).

P.

omissis

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:10:37 pm »
Guys, don't mind about the dongle, commercial synths always had copy protection, on hardware synths their copy protection was....er....their hardware building :wink: , in the past all the commercial synths had their own copy protection system and Syncrosoft is convenient in a way because it's widely used by commercial labels and, if you have the key yet you have no problem wheter to get a key or not...Those morons don't remember that Seersystems' "Reality" ( the very first softsynth ) had an hardware copy protection ( a dongle on...the parallel port  :twisted:  :twisted: ) ...when the key was removed on the version 1.5 the software was cracked, Reality didn't sell anymore and so Dave Smith abandoned the project....so the people at KVR are making just a pretestuous debate, based on nothing. :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

poropat

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 01:33:37 pm »
At the same time, we won't need the original CD when we use instruments.
VCollection 8

GeeBee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 01:36:47 am »
I'm not for dongles, even if I have one for Cubase...
I think it bothers more the legal consumers than hackers.
I hope Arturia will hear us and go back to simple SN licence.
be creative

GeeBee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 01:39:16 am »
the NI system is quite cool for me, but of course it requires an internet connection.
be creative

rnbeatz

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
I'm also not a big fan of dongles unless it's functional like a controller. If a synth was worth it a dongle wouldn't stop me from buying it but I'm not going to purchase a dongle to tryout a demo. Actually, I should say thank you for making the demo require a dongle becuase it stopped me from making an impulse purchase.

omissis

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:06:41 pm »
Quote from: "rnbeatz"
I should say thank for for making the demo require a dongle becuase it stopped me from making an impulse purchase.

SHHHHTT!!!! Before some developers will intend the dongle as an educational tool!!! No, seriously I'm hating this thing of dongles, even if Iain't got any problem  regarding the loss or stealth of them , I feel a bit like a "honest idiot" about them..... :roll:  :roll:
Max

a CS-80Vist

poropat

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:32:54 pm »
In fact I think Arturia are tired because people could crack their software.
But at the same time they don't know how many customers
they got because of piracy.
And now if protection would become a real constraint for people
who buy their software, maybe more people will try to get a cracked
version for not being worried :roll:
VCollection 8

Didz@dron

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:36:49 am »
Quote from: "omissis"
Quote from: "rnbeatz"
I should say thank for for making the demo require a dongle becuase it stopped me from making an impulse purchase.

SHHHHTT!!!! Before some developers will intend the dongle as an educational tool!!! No, seriously I'm hating this thing of dongles, even if Iain't got any problem  regarding the loss or stealth of them , I feel a bit like a "honest idiot" about them..... :roll:  :roll:

So do I now  :?
d(*O*)b

Didz@dron

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 07:53:25 am »
SHHHHTT!!!! Before some developers will intend the dongle as an educational tool !

Hm, people might also be educated in the wrong way though  :P  :lol:
d(*O*)b

omissis

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 03:20:41 pm »
This doesn't mean I won't buy Arturia products, because it's silly to state this, I owe one to Arturia for having always been fair, kind and skilled guys and being their CS80 one of the best sounding synths I've ever tried;
but....
..... something changes now with the dongles, this either with Arturia or whatever else company out there:
this kind of copy protection is way costier than any other kind of protection, to ensure the USB key is a non logic idea, the costs of this copy protection are put on the legitimate  users so , my expectations about the quality of the products do increase exponentially ; if , before the dongle , I got buggy programs, now I want bugfree programs, if before I had few support now I want full and live support, if before  I had 80% faithful emulations, now I want 200% faithful emulations.
The market is the market, the user is the user, don't get what I want? I'll go, sadly but willingly, elsewhere.....
Max

a CS-80Vist

poropat

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:54 pm »
right Max!!Seems a logical deal
VCollection 8

omissis

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:45:24 pm »
...and now the flames moved to the bad quality of the audio demos.....

to tell the truth, the only audio demo I'm actually liking is "Prophetable" , but it shows little of the audio capabilities....what I suggest could be a long composition focused on different genres , yes, just like it happens on the  :arrow:  SoundCanvas for example ( :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: ), maybe a crappy "sounds-like" thingie , like show kind of orchestral, leads, pads, efx , weird things....

Or maybe , like I said elsewhere, Arturia could make a demo contest  :wink: !
Max

a CS-80Vist

Didz@dron

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 09:26:53 pm »
I guess Jean-Michel Blanchet is working on one at the moment. He's quite a nice composer and so is Gilles Pommereuil  :D
Let's wait and see (well hear)  :wink:
By the way, I can't download the demo ... when I submit my info, I get neither link nor activation code  :(
d(*O*)b

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines