April 16, 2024, 02:47:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CS-80V Comparisson to Mini Mg & Mg Modular & Arp  (Read 6640 times)

gclef101

CS-80V Comparisson to Mini Mg & Mg Modular & Arp
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:55 am »
Hi,

New to the forum and looking to buy the CS-80V plus the Mini Mg & Mg Modular & Arp. Basically I've listened to the demo songs of each software but I'm not really sure of what each particular software is dedicated towards. I guess the Mini Mg is geared more towards bass synths, but still not sure on it. But my question is to understand if its necissary to get all these programs, bescause I don't know if one can do the exact same thing as the other programs can. Can someone give a brief overview of what each program is dedicated towards...Thanks!!!

omissis

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 02:49:06 pm »
Well, these are basically synthesizers, meaning you can do almost the same things with each one of them. Things change when you look for a specific blend of a timbre, there you may choose with more consciousness: MiniMgV has a powerful and bass biased timbre, while CS-80V has a wider timbre palette and has more versatility than the MiniMgV(but you can do many things too with MMV 's matrix modulation) .
It all depends on what you're going to do with your music and wheter a certain synth is necessary or not, the best thing is to use the demos as much as possible to evaluate them in terms of pure sound, versatility and ease of use, then you'll know by yourself what synth do you want
Max

a CS-80Vist

gclef101

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 06:57:02 am »
Yeah I listened to the demos and I really can't tell from the 3 because It doesn't really test the full length of the product, but I did see that the mini Mg its color is good for bass synths. But question:

Which of the 3 programs CS-80V, Mg Modular, Mini Mg is more versatile and has more range in sounds and highs and lows?

I know this is a question that might be opinionated, but just trying to get some feedback on users who have experience in these products before I buy...Thanks!!!

PS: It looks like from the screen shoot that the CS-80V has alot of controls and knobs to play with, but doesn't always mean that its more versatile though.

prkarpi

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:26:38 pm »
I have tried ARP2600, MiniMogg, Mg Modular and CS80. I must say that I was impressed by the power of Mg Modular.  It a has a powerful saws, but I must say that CS80 has a realy warm sound. If you are into electronic music you have to have both if I would choose just one I'd go with CS80. There are a lot of software that can replicate Mg Modular sound(not to the full extend, ofcourse), but I didnt find any software that CS80 can do. Very warm, powerfull sound, even though I didnt use all the functions, it sure looks very promissing. What would you expect from the synth that came out in the 70 and still costs 4k on ebay. Do the math.

omissis

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:42:46 pm »
Which of the 3 programs CS-80V, Mg Modular, Mini Mg is more versatile and has more range in sounds and highs and lows?

In terms of pure timbre I think CS-80V has the wider range aong all Arturia's in my thoughts : keep in mind that , when the original came out in 1977 the designers built a vco capable of a very particular saw wave, in facts it's graphically a saw with a superimposed pulse on; this was made in order to avoid some bandwidth loss and the acoustic result was a powerful sawtooth with a brighter sound and the version 1.5 of this synth reproduced this particular saw wave.
Add to this the fact that the synth path includes the saw and the pulse waves avaliable at the same time for a fatter sound, plus an indipendent sine wave signal  after the double resonant filter, to even fattening up the sound and creating the craziest combinations .The modulation section is really where the CS-80V shines:the SubOsc ( LFO) controls pitch, filter, VCA and could be modulated on its speed and depth. you can be very expressive by using it through aftertouch.The ringmod is simply fantastic... Even this could let someone think of a limited design: to widen up your horizons there is the matrix modulation which can make you able to create each sort of modulation.
I've been using it as my main synth since 2004 and I don't regret a thing about it!
Max

a CS-80Vist

arpy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 09:10:09 pm »
Get the CS first, then one of the Mgs. Forget about the Arp if you want a "real" emulation, unless you wait for a 2.0 release from Arturia. Try the WayOutWare, it seems it's the best emulation on the market at the moment (even if without the sequencer Arturia included in its release).

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines