March 29, 2024, 01:33:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Brass - more sound clips please  (Read 4801 times)

saltpot

Brass - more sound clips please
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:43:26 pm »
Hi There,

Would it be possible to get some more different sound clips of the trumpet, perhaps bigband or classical.

Just that currently the trumpet community, don't seem too impressed with the clip.

Just a thought

Cheers

Jody

Quote from: "member of the Trumpet Herald"

saltpot
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Latest virtual brass technology - what do you think??  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MusicTech Magazine wrote:

Arturia has taken a new direction with the release of brass, a new virtual insturment that aims to faithfully reproduce the trumpet, saxophone and trombone in real time without samples. Brass relies oj a form of physical modelling developed in conjunction with IRCAM (Institute for Acoustic/Music Reasearch and Co-ordination).
The physical models used in Brass have been in development for five years at IRCAM in Paris, and reflect the cutting edge of instrument design. Users of Brass will be able to play the virtual instrument with same flexibility and expression as if they where playing a real brass instrument. In fact, Arturia believes that "it would be hard for anyone to distinguish the original instrument from there software counterparts". Thats quite a claim, and we look forward to putting them to the test. Pricing has yet to be announced.

Here is an example:

ftp://ftp.arturia.net/pub/samples/demoweb/BRASS-SoloTrumpet.mp3

and the home page is here:

http://www.arturia.com/en/brass/brass.php

So what do you think?? Do you think this is another nail in the coffin for studio players?? I personally can tell difference straight away. However, I believe the "masses" (i.e. the normal musically untrained majority) may have a difference of oppinion.

Thoughts??

Cheers

Jody

SatchmoGillespie
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not impressed. Honestly, it sounds more like suped up flute than a trumpet. Now, for some reason, I have an urge to listen to some zamfir.
Getzen Eterna Severinsen

saltpot
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:    

SatchmoGillespie wrote:
I'm not impressed. Honestly, it sounds more like suped up flute than a trumpet. Now, for some reason, I have an urge to listen to some zamfir.

I agree - but would you think "joe public" would notice? Personally I'd have to hear more in different genres - perhaps a rendition of the hayden.

As a tool for composing scores, what I hear so far sounds pretty good.

Cheers

Jody

JackD
Heavyweight Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:    

The articulation sounds very unrealistic. The sound is pretty awful too.

I do think things like this are dangerous though; there are few enough jobs as it stands.

Rich G
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:    

If that's the best that can be done to replicate a trumpet sound - it's really pathetic.

PRogers
Heavyweight Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:    

Yeah, that just sounds plain bad.

Bill Scott
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:    

My 15 y/o daughter could tell it wasn't a trumpet---she said the sound was really bad, especially the last few notes. I don't think we have anything to be too worried about............
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"

Shaker
Veteran Member

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:    

I was worried............ until the sound clip started playing.  

I think Tom Kubis' synth sounds MUCH better on the clips from his site! But still, not much like a real trumpet. I don't think anything can play like a real trumpet, except a real trumpet.

FabP

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:42:41 am »
We are hardly working on it :)
Fabrice PAUMIER
ARTURIA Marketing Manager

Tony Ostinato

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:46:23 am »
OK but whoa lets be fair, the same kids can tell that the motion capture cgi in Polar Express isnt real either but if you mix it into a live scene in a nice way it can be as impressive as the war machines in war of the worlds.

I think expecting it to BE a trumpet as early as 2006 is kinda kookoo.

I think a more in-line comparison would be whats being used here:

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/mdt.html

theres 2 guys doing demos on that page, one is a so-so player using the vl70-m which is the closest thing to arturia brass theres been. It uses a similar approach of acoustic physics modeling.

Theres another guy who is a way more fluent player but hes using reaktor. i think maybe hes using a physical model ensemble but i dont know.

If you can, imagine guy 2 playing the sounds of guy one. THATS why we are ga ga about physical modeling, not so much because we want to replace our trumpets or saxs but to have new instruments that share as many of those behavior traits as is possible right now.

Now, you might be able to fool some people with sampled brass, but to me that always sounds like a big static accordion synth with none of the real animation and personality of physics models.

You could edit together sampled clips and fool people, but arturia is on the road to a playable live instrument.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines